How I fed 30 People for less than $50.00

My English hubby loves to host Sunday dinners for our friends. A true Sunday dinner consists of turkey and all the fixings that go along with it. It doesn't matter if it is 105 degrees outside, we are putting a bird in the oven. Thanks Phoenix.

The dinners are a lot of fun, but I don't want them to break the bank. Thankfully, a Winco just opened in our neighborhood. It is grocery shopping heaven. I was shocked by how low the prices are. If you don't have a Winco where you live, I'm sure there is some store near you that has decent prices. I bought everything at Winco for our dinners.

I have also figured out how to do almost all the food prep before people arrive. I am actually able to enjoy myself! I had to borrow a few crockpots and put a table in the living room to hold them all. I plugged everything into a power strip.

I was able to do the same thing on Christmas Eve for our 35 family members and everyone said how delicious the food was. Actually, I got a free turkey in November at Winco for spending 100 dollars. So I spent less than usual!

This is how I spend less than $50.00 and fed 30 friends.

One 22 pound turkey- $23.00
One 11 pound ham -$12.00
Four boxes of Stove Top Stuffing - $4.00
One ten pound bag of potatoes - $1.48
Bag of carrots and some zucchini - $5.00

I already had some ingredients on hand - flour, eggs, gravy, butter.

Here is the key to having a good day, the prep!

Make sure you have figured out what time to put the turkey in. We decided not to stuff the turkey anymore because digging the stuffing out was time consuming (especially annoying after 2 glasses of wine.) We put cut up onions and apples in and around the turkey instead. So yummy. We also put pats of butter and sea salt under the skin.

I mash all ten pounds of potatoes and then put them in a crockpot. I add butter and stir throughout the day to make sure they are perfection.

I make the stuffing and also put it in a crockpot.

I make my veggie sidedish also using a crockpot (see my recipe under my ridiculously easy crockpot recipes. Link is on the right of this page).

I put the ham in a roaster oven. The ham I bought came with its own glaze. It was really tasty. 

I make the yorkshire puddings (see recipe on this page under this entry). I never thought I would make them ahead, but it really saved me from chaos in the kitchen. I put them on one of those disposable roasting dishes from a party store. The candles under the dish keeps the puddings nice and warm.

I then get myself ready. So easy! Everything is done. I just have hubby carve the turkey once its done and the ham is pre-sliced.

Go ahead, host a Sunday dinner and impress your friends. 




 


Comments

Popular Posts